New Everyday, Not Just Today


























One of my favorite Christmas presents this year was from Jacob's parents, the book The World According to Mister Rogers, a book of quotes and thoughts from one of my favorite men, Fred Rogers.

This quote seems very fitting for my attitudes on the New Year and a season of oh so many resolutions.

























There is no doubt that 2013 will be a big one with another semester of RAing, graduating college, celebrating the marriages of several good friends, and starting an adult like job.

I am looking forward to all such things and trust that the Lord has beautiful things in store for these next 365 days. However the 'New Year' has long gotten me thinking of some of the stereotypical ideas that come with this holiday.

While I believe in fresh starts and realistic goals, why do we so often as a society focus on such momentary and rather unattainable resolutions? It hurts to see so many whom I love have such lofty expectations for the new year that almost inevitably and very shortly come to fail which results in feelings of shame and disappointment.

Instead of making resolutions or promises that I really can't promise myself or others this year, I am focusing on the eternal promise of Christ, that through his blood and resurrection we are made new every day. The Lord's mercies are new every morning, not just when the clock strikes midnight every January 1st.

In the wise words of Mister Rogers, it is about doing what we can with what we have. We have Christ's promise and the Lord's mercies as a foundation and now it is about doing what I can with these promises.

I challenge you in these things and pray that each of us, myself included, would use this opportunity of a new year as a reminder that each and everyday we are made remade in Christ and his mercies every morning just awaiting our embrace.

Happy New Year!


Labels: , ,