Comparison

I do believe Mr. Theodore Roosevelt got this one right.. comparison is the thief of joy.

This is something I have found myself continually being convicted of in all aspects of my life recently, however especially present in the good 'ol blogosphere.

I think at one point or another most bloggers go through thoughts of.. I wish I had more followers, her layout is so perfect, I wish I would have thought of that post idea, if only I could write like she does, I would love to look like her.. the list goes on.

You know those thoughts, we all have them, whether pertaining to blogging or life in general they are vicious little buggers that I truly do believe rob us of our joy.

 "Not that we dare to classify or compare ourselves with some of those who are commending themselves. But when they measure themselves by one another and compare themselves with one another, they are without understanding." -2 Corinthians 10:12

Comparing to others is something that does absolutely no good to either person. If I am comparing to someone else, it makes me feel worse about myself, leaves me feeling inadequate, and ultimately gives a skewed perception of this other person.

I believe bloggers can especially fall into this trap as a lot of times what is shown on a blog is the best of the best. How many times do you read about that time I got upset with my boyfriend, didn't speak the truth in love to my neighbor, exaggerated how I did on an exam?

These moments of true vulnerability and weakness typically aren't on display for the world to see, yet we forget to remember this. I look at someone else's blog and think their life is so put together and perfect and I instantly wish mine were like theirs. Yet this probably is not the full picture.

My prayer is that as a community of bloggers and believers we would hold each other accountable and remind one another of the true beauty that comes from being unique and special. We don't all need to be like one another, that'd be super boring.

So let's embrace our individuality and personal quirks the Lord has blessed us with and strive towards joy that is so abundant, comparison will have no place.

Labels: , , ,