A Story

Yesterday was incredible.

I got off work early and went to Target to get Jake's sister Sarah a graduation present. As I was in the laundry detergent row, a woman and her daughter passed by.

Shortly after, they came up to me and explained that their church had been on a scavenger hunt that afternoon and how it was over but on their list they were led to bald, tall, tattoo, young, female.

It caught me off guard how distinct it matched me (tattoo of course referring to henna). They explained how the scavenger hunt worked and what they did.

They strongly believed the Lord led them to me even afterwards on purpose and they wanted to pray for me right then and there, yes in the laundry detergent aisle...the boldness of these women was remarkable.

I said of course and they asked me if there was anything in particular I wanted prayer for. I started telling them how my family was in town and that somehow stemmed into graduation, Northwestern, admissions-all about where I am at and what I am doing.

They then asked my name and remembered that another group had 'Laura' on their list. The mom prayed a beautiful prayer over me and then the daughter did as well. The whole time I was thinking about her name, Grace, and what an amazing act of grace this whole situation was.

We said our goodbyes and went on our own ways. I was left in a moment of pure amazement.

How humbling and selfless these two servants were. God is seriously so good.

I am in awe of the Lord's provision in making this encounter happen. This experience reminded me of the good and love that Christians can show and live out.

I've been plagued the past few years with only focusing on the brokenness and destruction Christians all too often demonstrate in their actions and lifestyles.

I have become an expert on critiquing ministry and the ways it is done and I have become inactive to demonstrating faith myself because I am tainted with the fear of messing up, doing it wrong, or hurting someone else by my way of doing faith.

I point fingers but then take no action myself, therefore the finger should be pointed right back at me.

This reminder of two faithful daughters of Christ in an ordinary everyday situation gave me hope and life.

Not just stale, I have heard it before hope, but a deeply rooted, heart pounding hope that has caused me to fall on my knees and surrender to my lowly estate of such a majestic and glorified God.

Maybe these women didn't have exactly the kind of ministry approach I believe in, the words and ways of explaining faith that I do, or even a remotely similar understanding of who God is.

But that's not the point. They did it. They lived out their faith. They demonstrated love, grace, and humility to someone who easily could have turned their back or ridiculed them. They shared Christ with me and that is what matters over and above any logistical faith methods.

Pressing questions, nagging doubts, and seeking understanding are okay and I believe essential to establishing a life of faith, but at the end of the day what I am left with knowing is that God is so faithful and his love is present in and through every single little moment of every day.

Until yesterday I had forgotten this beautifully radiant truth for too long.

Thank you Lord for reminding me who you are and why I believe in your name alone.

Labels: , , , ,