Iowa Crops

When I first moved to Iowa a few years back it was more of a culture shock than I thought it would be. One thing in particular that stuck in my mind was the idea of praying for rain. Never did we mention rain, desire it, or designate time of prayer on it.

But here in this farm sustaining agricultural community much emphasis was put on the crops and praying for good seasons, plenty of rain, and bountiful harvests. While I still find it someone cheesy, I have begun to realize the importance of prayer for the everyday things. This literally is what keeps people going here each and every day and for that they give thanks and trust in the Lord.

It may not be the lakes and forests I grew up fawning over but I have learned to appreciate the beauty in Iowa corn and pray for the things that are important to sustaining everyday life.

Labels: , , ,