Local Travel Gems

So where exactly are you? Why are you traveling so much? Why have you been blogging less? You seem to always be on the go, what are you up to? These are just a few of the questions I have been receiving lately with the transition into my new job and post-grad life.

As an admissions counselor I am currently in the heart of travel season which consists of visiting high schools in my territories, attending college fairs, and meeting prospective students one on one. All of this on top of the day to day administrative work and travel planning required.

While I'm truly enjoying it for the most part, I am still in the process of learning to adjust to the craziness of never being in one place at once, traveling 4-5 days out of each week, and attempting to find joy in this season of life that can be somewhat lonely.

One of the things I have enjoyed most is discovering local gems that I otherwise wouldn't have known about. This usually comes in the form of coffee shops and cafes.

There is just something so refreshing about real, fresh food cooked right on the spot, one of a kind, especially among eating out meal after meal. Not to mention the eclectic decorations, peaceful work environment, and friendly faces in a foreign place.

While it is a little intimidating looking ahead on my travel schedule and realizing I will be away from home majority of the time through Thanksgiving, these local gems bring home a little closer and always provide joy in unlikely places. And of course they kindle the adventurous spirit within me, firing me up for discovering the next special place.

Where are some of your favorite local gems? Where do you feel at home when you are far from it? Do you have any recommendations in Iowa, Washington, or Arizona that I should check out?

Labels: ,