Alopecia Awareness Month


A little throwback Thursday action for your day - take you back to 1994 when Laura had a full head of hair and Leah was a punk of a babe.
September is a golden month. It brings with it the cool breeze of autumn, warm and cozy feelings, and most importantly Alopecia Awareness Month. If you've been around for some time you have likely figured out that yes, I am bald. Alopecia Universalis is an autoimmune disease that causes hair to stop growing and fall out. In simple terms it is as if I am allergic to my hair. There is no known cause or cure for this mysterious condition.

The diagnosis came as a shock to my happy go lucky sixth grade self. I had a full head of hair up until that point and rapidly lost it all within two months of first noticing hair loss. It gets me teary eyed to this day thinking of the literal trauma I went through losing not only my head of hair but who I thought I was.

My entire self-knowledge and being was wrapped up in personal appearance - sadly very typical of middle school girls. In attempts to blend in, I hid behind wigs and masked what was really going on not only on my head but within my heart. Jealousy, comparison, and loneliness characterized most of my thoughts.

After a slow process of maturing, truly because of Jesus, I started to become more comfortable in who I was and the way I appeared to others. There were so many days I cried as a child wondering why I had to be the odd one out but today I could not imagine my life without Alopecia. It has been a life changing experience to say the least. Alopecia has opened countless doors for me to meet beautiful, radiant people who simply don't have hair. They are just like you, they are just like me.

Did you know Alopecia affects approximately 2% of the entire world's population? Did you know that many hair donating companies will not give wigs to those with Alopecia even though the prognosis is much longer compared to other diseases? Did you know people are bald for other reasons than simply trying to be edgy or having Cancer?

Now you know! And now you can help spread awareness this month and every month about this crazy disease. I am in love with this video created in Loverpool, please watch it through the end. I have Alopecia, I am beautiful and I am confident.

P.S Happy birthday fifth birthday to my best little bald friend I know.
Looking forward to celebrating with you this weekend Elle!

Labels: ,