When Everyone is Doing the Same Thing


I have been doing a lot of thinking lately. Thinking about what we are all doing and how we are doing it. Do you ever get stuck in the thought that everyone is doing the same thing? In the blogging world we tend to hold similar goals, dreams, and passions. It's a beautiful thing that makes this community a unique one. It can also be suffocating.

My creativity runs dry when I start thinking about big ideas and cannot get out of the typical blogging circle of everyone doing the same thing. The mail exchanges, promoting old posts, link-ups, favorites giveaways... it is all great and I participate in most, but it seems like it has all been done before. Maybe it is because I am so detail oriented. Maybe it is because I deeply respect the ideas of others. Maybe it is because I struggle to come up with my own innovations. The maybes could go on forever, but getting lost in these puts a wall up to creativity.

What I do know is that when it feels like everyone is doing the same thing, take heart and believe, you are unique and creative. Even if you don't have the best new idea in blogland, your ideas are valued. I needed to hear this the past few months as I wrestled through thoughts and questions of how to build a better, stronger sponsorship program that actually grew community and supported bloggers. 

It is easy to feel like every idea in the book is taken and there is no new avenue for you to go. But friends, even in a sea of mid-twenty-something Christian lifestyle bloggers with beautiful DSLR photos and ideas that seem to be thriving, you have a distinct voice and flavor to share. Don't be afraid to change things up, take a step back, and do some wild brainstorming of your own. Out of the most frustrating and dead end moments come the most innovative ideas. You've got this, friend!

How do you generate creative ideas?
What are you in the process of brainstorming?

Labels: ,